Monday, April 18, 2011
Ahoy, mateys. We've received this award from Fi. Catch her wonderful blog at:
Thank you, Fi, and thanks to all the amazing writers here at Scribbler's Cove!
According to the code - uh, I mean rules - of the award, we need to do several things, the first being to mention, thank and link to the award giver.
Next, we share 7 things about ourselves.
With Rebecca as captain, our crew here at Scribblers Cove includes these fine writers: Rebecca, Susan, Rachel, Leisha, Amber, Chersti, Elizabeth, and Emily, who I hope will post their seven things as well. (Feel free to add it into this post, or put it in the comments and I'll add them.) I look forward to learning more about my fine shipmates!
So, here are our seven things:
1)I'm a stay-at-home mom, but I call myself a writer;
2)In my pre-kids life, I worked for NASA and studied global warming;
3) I love chocolate in any form;
4) Ditto tea;
5) At the end of this month, I am retiring from 4 years as an elected official (School Board), deciding to concentrate on writing rather than seeking re-election;
6)My three boys (7,10,12) are as different as they can be, but they're somehow all related to me;
7)Someday I want to retire to the Rocky Mountains.
1. I love to illustrate, especially things that have a great story: funny, touching, thought-provoking. One of my favorite games as a child was drawing curious scenes for which I had no specific story in mind, handing it to my sister, Rebecca, and letting her put the word bubbles on the characters. (Good times!)
2. I love to cook! Didn’t used to, but since marrying a man with great taste in food, I discovered little pleases me more than making something he loves. It’s my new creative outlet since I have so little time for art.
3. I am the mother of 4 very smart, very creative, very busy, very precocious, very amazing kids, ages 1-9. They keep me on my toes, and constantly remind me of what’s wrong with myself (in a very gentle way) and what’s right with the world (in a loud, joyful way!). The four of them could rule the universe someday, so look out!
4. My husband was a musical theater actor who has toured with two Broadway National companies, and has even played THE Phantom of the Opera (yes, the title role) about a dozen times. Practically every time he went on stage he got fan mail a from die-hard fan of the show who said he was the best Phantom they had ever seen. But he’s giving it all up to become a full time religious educator. And I love and admire him more for that than I ever loved him for being so amazing on the stage (and that’s saying something!)
5. My sister and I had an imaginary fantasy world called Cecilon when we were kids, which was the central spot for all our story writing. Rebecca has moved on, but I secretly keep copies of the old maps and notes on peoples and cultures. I’m either a hopeless pack-rat, or I have secret plans to do something with it someday. I’ll let you decide which is the real reason.
6. While I love art, I also secretly wish I could publish a novel of my own someday. The level of commitment this would require is beyond what I will ever be willing or able to make, so it’s a rather lame dream. On the other hand, I have several ideas for children’s books, which I am certain I will have time to do eventually.
7. I’m a lousy housekeeper, but that is gradually changing.
1. ARGH! Sorry for me long absence, mateys! I've been haulin' all me goods from one port to another these past two weeks. Yes, item number one is, I just moved for the second time in nine months. Gar!But I still live in Hawaii, so that's good.
2. I build Irish harps, and I play with a Celtic folk ensemble, South Wind.
3. I have five children.
4. Rachel is my sister, and if she thinks I've moved on from the fantasy world of our tween-age days, she should read my latest manuscript.
5. How to Train Your Dragon is my absolute favorite movie ever.
6. My husband and I used to teach ballroom dance.
7. I got a Hawaii Business Tax ID number for Author Rebecca J. Carlson on April 1st (no fooling), and I got to use it today, April 18th, when I sent in the invoice for a magazine story sale. I know that by now this should feel more routine to me, but I still screamed out my upstairs window to my entire new neighborhood, "I'M GETTING PUBLISHED!"
1. I'm writing a pirate book right now, so I'm happily hunkered down in a fine little corner of Scribbler's Cove.
2. My writing life began because of an enormous lie I told as a child. Details here:
3. Being surrounded by great writers is always inspiring, so I love the writers here at Scribblers Cove, and the wonderful, amazing gals in my writers group: Leisha, Angela, and Kathy.
4. Not much beats a great book. My all-time favorite is THE CAY, by Theodore Taylor.
5. I'm a very happy wife and mom.
6. I love art - both seeing it and doing it.
7. I know how to do poi balls. Not very well, mind you, just enough to make some pretty impressive bruises.
The final rule to this award is to pass it on. Here goes:
Congratulations! And, Fi, thanks again!